Phone Number Spoofing – Don’t Get Caught Out
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/capital-telecom/public/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284
What is telephone number spoofing?
This is when a company or individual displays a different telephone number than the number that they are actually calling from.
Why would someone do this?
Sometimes, businesses like to show that they are calling from either their business or local number rather than their direct lines to ensure that customers use the correct channels to contact the business.
Why can this be dangerous?
As well as being very popular amongst phone scammers, it can also be used to access your phone messages if you do not have a PIN on your voicemail! This affects personal security, business fraud, and can cause telephone billing chaos.
A programmer takes revenge on a phone scamming company claiming to be the IRS.
How can I tell if I am being scammed?
- Don’t use Caller ID as the only means of identifying who is calling – why would your bank, creditors, or government be calling you?
- Request to call them back in ten minutes – any legitimate individual will not mind this as. Scammers will, because they are not actually calling from the number or business that they have displayed!
- Never give out personal information or financial details during an inbound call. Your bank or government will never ask you for this kind of information over the phone – payments can always be made on their official website, by cheque or mail, or in person.
What should I do if I think I’ve been scammed?
- Notify your bank immediately so that they can attempt to recover your stolen funds.
- Call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040, or go to http://actionfraud.police.uk so that the matter is investigated further.
- Let Trading Standards know by calling Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0345 404 0506 and asking them to notify Trading Standards.
Be sure to share this information with family and friends to ensure that they are not caught out by scammers.